Friday, August 24, 2007

Frugal Friday: foaming hand soap

I love the foaming hand soaps that are out these days. I love the texture, and how it doesn't just slide off your skin about a third of the time before you ever lather up. Kids also like it - it's cool, and they probably like the no-sliding thing, too. But it is SO expensive! One dispenser's worth only costs a smidge more than a dispenser of regular hand soap, but the refills, if I remember right, are more expensive. Plus, you go through it pretty fast.

Well, a couple of years ago I managed to get two free Dial brand dispensers for free with coupons. But when they were empty, I didn't want to just throw them away, nor did I want to spend the money on the refills! So I started my brain a'thinkin' and came up with this, and it WORKS!

Squeeze in a couple good tablespoons worth of regular liquid hand soap. Any kind is fine, just as long as it doesn't have those scrubbing bead things or other floating materials in. Gently add water up to the line on the bottle, cap and shake well. You'll want to add the water gently so as not to make too many suds inside, which will take up space and make a mess when you try to cap it off.

And there you have it! This will make your regular hand soap last forever, nearly, and you get the coolness of foam without the expense. I am absolutely loving it!

That's this week's Frugal Friday - be sure to check Crystal's Blog for more great tips!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is good to know, I was only diluting my hand soap about 1/3 with water! I had this fear that the kids hands wouldnt actually be clean (being an ex nurses aide does this to me I guess!) but in reality this will do the trick! I will try it out next time I fill my dispensers!

SAHMmy Says said...

Thanks for this! I've always suspected that the foam dispensers could be refilled, but I didn't want to waste money and be disappointed! Thanks for doing the research!

Anonymous said...

I've done the same thing for a few years now - we love it! I can make an 88 cent bottle of soap last a few months for my family of nine.
I add the H2O before adding the soap, that way, there isn't so much foaming.